Saturday, August 29, 2020

What Things Can’t You Live Without?

                                                             By Joan Whetzel

 

If you had asked me this question as a kid, I would probably have chosen a favorite Easter dress, trick or treating, Christmas presents, a specific friend (who I haven’t seen in decades and would no longer recognize if I passed them on the street), the public swimming pool a couple blocks over, or that red bike I used to ride everywhere – to name a few.

 Funny how the things you consider important change with age and time. My list of things I can’t live without is may be shorter than it used to be – or maybe not. The items it contains is definitely different. 

Here’s my current list.I cannot live without (not necessarily in this order):

Ø  My family.

Ø  God.

Ø  Friends, for as long as God allows them to be in my life (life changes, people move, …).

Ø  Food and water.

Ø  A roof over my head.

Ø  Sunshine and rain.

Ø  Flannel sheets in the winter, or a heating blanket to heat up the sheets before I get in to bed on cold nights.

Ø  Music, all kinds.

Ø  Sleep.

Ø  White noise, to drown out the total quiet on those nights when everyone actually goes home to sleep, when there’s no dogs conversing all night, and when there’s no noisy weather going on outside – or on those nights when my brain won’t shut up.

Ø  The ceiling fan at night. Yes, even in the winter I need to feel the air moving.

Ø  Alone time = having the house to myself once in a while.

Ø  A graceful exit from large parties or gatherings (too people-y).

Ø  Good books to read.

Ø  Places to volunteer.

Ø  Income.

Ø  Green spaces (picnics, walks, playgrounds).

 

I’m sure I’ll mentally add to this list from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment