Saturday, November 21, 2015

Week of November 22, 2015 – Smells that Bring Back Memories


By Joan Whetzel

 

Many years ago, on a Saturday, my husband had taken the kids out for the day. While they were gone, I spent the afternoon roasting my first chicken, to be served with mashed potatoes and corn. The bounded through the back door as I was pulling the chicken out of the oven.

 

“MMM! It smells like Thanksgiving,” my son said.

 

“We could smell out on the driveway, before we even came into the house,” added my husband.

 

It was a wet cold winter day, which made the meal smell even better. Ever since that day, whenever it’s cold, whenever it’s rainy, this is one of the meals I consider making. My kids, and now my grandkids, still love this meal.

 

There are other smells that bring back memories for me, like the smell of burn toast crumbs in the bottom of the toaster and coffee brewing. This reminds me of Grandma Pauken’s kitchen. Whenever we went up to Ohio for summer vacation, morning breakfast usually consisted of toasted raisin bread with the icing on top and the sound of coffee gurgling in the percolator. And on Sundays, the whole family would come over after church – aunts, uncles, cousins, and there’d be more coffee and Grandma’s homemade pecan rolls. Adults talking, fussing at the kids not to slam the screen door, the kids not hearing any of it in their rush to go outside and play.

 

For my kids, the smell of wassail simmering on the stove and waffle cookies means Christmas is coming and it’s time to decorate the tree. It’s time to help me stack the cookies – only after taste testing half of them first. Hey, the best ones are those that are hot off the waffle cookie maker.

 

If anybody reading this has memories attached to certain smells, I expect to hear from you.

1 comment:

  1. I love the smells that remind me of Grandma's house! I can literally "smell" the house in my mind, if that makes sense. I can "smell" the sweet smell of the bedding in the middle upstairs bedroom. I can "see" the paint chips in the upstairs bathroom on the tile. I can "hear" the sound of a little metal tractor/tricycle on the slats of the front porch. But one of my favorite memories of Grandma's and Grandpa's house was the soft silky hair on Grandpa's head. When you touched it, he purred. LOVE!!!

    ReplyDelete