Saturday, November 9, 2013

Week of Nov. 10, 2013 - Updating Your Writer's Office


By Joan Whetzel

 

 

From time to time, as my writing career has evolved, I have found it necessary to update my office. The change is due to a number of issues

 

1.      My writing space has become boring to me.

2.      The space has become uninviting, sending me looking for other places to write.

3.      My writing style or my clients have changed, or the topics that I now find interesting to write on are no longer supported by the books, colors, and objects I have around me.

4.      My personal style, esthetic, or tastes are evolving.

5.      I feel the need to scale up (something bigger or more elaborate) or scale back (thin out my research materials or my artwork and furniture.

There are a few ways to change up you writing space in order to free up your writing muses and keep the ideas flowing

 

1. Rearrange furniture, bookshelves, artwork, and play toys. Yes, you heard me. If you don't have play toys, your muses won't come and play with your writer's mind. On the other hand, if the muses are tired of your surroundings, they won't come and play with you either, so rearrange things just to startle yourself whenever you enter the room. It jars you out of your rut, which keeps the creative juice running laps around your office.

 

2. Clear Out the Old stuff. That includes books and other research materials that are out of date or that no longer support your current writing projects. Get rid of old toys that you no longer play with. Get rid of old files, old writing projects that you are certain you will not complete, or old clients that you haven't worked with in a while.

 

3. Add Something New like a new lamp, a new piece of artwork, a few new books, some new curtains, a new chair. Anything new will work as long as it feeds your senses.

 

4. Add or Change Colors. The new colors could be added by way of artwork, furniture, drapes, chachkis that hang in your window, lampshades, or a new coat of paint on the walls or office door. The color change can be small (a few accessories) or large (large pictures or wall painting).

 

5. Change Out Your Music. If you find yourself listening to the same music over and over again - or worse, no music at all - it's time to jar yourself out of your rut by changing or adding music to your environment. Some people find the concentrate better with vocal music. Others, like myself, find it easier to write with instrumental music only. Whatever your choice, change it up. Try music you've never listened to before (cultural music, folk music, percussion music, jazz) or artists who's styles you've never tried. Changing up the music jars you out of your rut and keeps the creative juices flowing.

 

As I'm writing this, I'm realizing that I need to change out my music again and thin out my book shelves. Christmas is coming up, so for those of you reading this, if you have some books you'd like to pass on as Christmas presents, I'm looking forward to some good reads. If they're your favorite authors, even better.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment