Sunday, August 24, 2014

Week of August 24, 2014 – Guess What! Another Surprise!


By: Joan Whetzel

When my husband died, I was left with a huge set of issues to deal with:

·                     Changing bills to my name

·                     Setting up online accounts for the bills, in my name

·                     Registering his death with IRS and Social Security.

·                     Canceling his driver’s license and voter’s registration

·                     Contacting his company’s HR department to see about his retirement plan, life insurance, pension plan, and his remaining vacation pay – by the way, that’s 4 different departments.

·                     Pay off the house with some of the life insurance, mainly because the mortgage holders wouldn’t deal with anyone but my husband, even after they knew he was dead.

·                     Getting an Estate Identification Number to deal with some of the checks (escrow from the house payments, vacation pay) that were written to his Estate.

·                     Setting up two bank accounts, one for me and one for the Estate.

There were numerous other things that kept getting thrown at me as well. I thought the list of things I needed to overcome would never end. But, somehow, I managed to get all those things done.

Luckily this year, the list is far smaller and a bit easier to manage – clearing out the vines behind the garage, getting a new water heater, replacing a weed-eater with a 12 month warranty (13 months after I bought it), and one more unexpected surprise.

In Saturday’s mail, my late husband got a Jury Summons. That’s right! He’s gets to appear at the Jury Assembly Room on September 24, 2014 and explain why he can’t serve on a Jury. And, no, death is not listed under the “Exemptions” that’ll get you out of Jury Duty. (Apparently, they didn’t take the cancelation of his driver’s license and voter’s registration as a hint.)  

So, Monday morning, I get to prove to one more government agency that he’s no longer with us. I wonder how many forms and documents and phone calls this one will take to prove that he has a legitimate reason for getting off the jury duty roster.

No comments:

Post a Comment