Saturday, February 22, 2014

Week of February 23, 2014 - Setting Up and Using My Writer's Portfolio


By Joan Whetzel

 

I’ve been at writing for over 15 years now, and so I have built up a decent Writer’s Portfolio. This portfolio consists of articles, blogs, ad whitepapers, as well as a few books that can be used to do one of two things: 1. get other writing jobs or 2. to get a full time job that involves writing, if I’m lucky.

 

During my writing “career” I have written on many subjects for both juvenile and adult audiences. I have collected both print article clips as well as  online web content and blogs. Since my husband’s death I have found myself using my online writer’s portfolio and a few select print articles when applying for jobs – to pay the bills. Hopefully, one day soon, this will pay off.

 

Paper clips of published print articles are easy to carry to interviews. Likewise they can be scanned in and emailed as attachments with online applications. For my online portfolio, I can simply direct potential employers to my blog or the websites where my articles can be viewed. Or I can pick a particular article or two that are directly – or indirectly – related to the job for which I am applying. I keep copies of many articles on my hard drive. I also keep copies of the links to my blog and the websites where my online content is available on both my hard drive and my thumb drive so I can apply for a job just about anywhere that has a wifi connection.

 

Directing employers toward my online content links, I can impress potential employers with quantity  and variety of my writing experience. On the other hand, some jobs call more for specific article or two. As long as the articles relate to the job they are appropriate for attaching to my application and resume.

 

Hopefully sometime soon, I’ll have a job. One that allows me to do some writing. And it’ll all be thanks to my Writer’s Portfolio.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment