Saturday, September 7, 2013

5 Things Lazy or Poor Writers Do


By Joan Whetzel

 

I've written a lot of articles, books, and blogs - most of them good, some of them less than stellar. I have read far more articles, books and blogs than I have written. Most of them good, some of them less than stellar. There are 5 things these authors do that drive me crazy as a reader.

 

1)      Not Enough Research

            It doesn't matter whether the writer is creating fiction or nonfiction pieces, if something committed to the page smacks of not having done the research, it's not only bad writing, it's laziness. When writer's commit one lack-of-research error I, as a reader, might forgive him or her. But if it happens repeatedly, I will put down the book or magazine, or navigate away from the website in search of a better writer.

 

2)      Stopping Mid-Story to Explain Things

The opposite of number one, is the writer who does the research, and feels the overwhelming need to stop and explain things to the reader, as if we readers are too stupid to figure it out. Quit explaining stuff to me, and tell me the story. This is a show, don't tell moment. Show me what's going on, but please rein in that urge to explain things that I probably already know, or can infer from the writing - so long as it's good writing. I've been trying to read a novel by a writer who suffers from this condition. If I can get through the book, I'll write you  a review.

 

3)      Rambling Roses

This sin is particularly bad with nonfiction writers, for some reason. They dance around the point without ever finding it. I want to scream at them to "Just get to the point already!"  Then follow up by sending them recommendations to a couple of good editing classes.

 

4)      Grammar and Spelling Errors

There's no excuse for failing to run grammar and spell checks. I've failed on this one a time or two, to my own shame. The corollary to this one, is choosing a word that sounds like the word you're looking for, but is spelled differently. Those one's are the writing tricksters that have gotten many a writer into trouble.

 

5)      Rewriting the Same Story - Over and Over Again.

Okay, most writers will take an old story and rewrite it, or give a new spin, or update it with more recent examples. No harm in doing that. I've done it a time or two myself. Where the problem occurs, is when a writer hooks on one set of facts and pieces of information, and just keeps writing the story, and writing the story, and writing the story, until the world is sick of hearing it. It's like the writer is saying he or she can't be bother to learn about anything else.

Bo-o-oring! It's not going to take very long for readers to figure out that this writer is a one-trick-pony - aka a one-hit-wonder - and go looking for other authors.

 

If you find yourself in one of these categories, see what you can do to re-write your writing skills. You may just find your readers coming back to you, and bringing a few other readers with them. It's well worth the effort of ridding yourself of these lazy writing habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment