Saturday, January 12, 2013

Week of January 13, 2012 - Redecorating My Writing Space on a Shoestring Budget

By Joan Whetzel

I've decided my writing office / creative space needs redecorating. It's long overdue. I've been feeling a little stifled there, looking for ways to escape it rather than feeling like it's someplace that stimulates my creative juices. Unfortunately, my redecorating budget is about as close to $0 as I can get with going negative. So what's a body to do? Recycle and Reuse as much as possible.

1. My office doors got a new paint job. No this is not a freebie unless you have leftover paint from a previous job and like the color. It cost me all of a quart of paint. We already had most of the paint supplies so the cost here is minimal. Didn't even have to replace the hardware, though at some point down the road, if I find door hardware at the hardware store that I like better than what I have, they may be replaced. As long as I have the money to do it. But that's an inexpensive fix.

2. Updating my window treatments. The sheer panels and valances, I noticed, were quite dusty and had taken on a gray hue instead of their usual sky blue (sheers) and white (valance). They got pulled down and washed. The sheer panels will go back up. I still like them and they now match the paint on the doors to my office. The valance is looking way to passé. They will be put up for another project down the road and replaced with some blue napkins (a shade darker than the sheers and door paint) hung on an angle over the valance rod. These were napkins that I purchased some time ago, but never used. Finally found a use for them.

3. Artwork is getting changed out. I dabble in photography and pastels. so I have a lot of artwork to choose from. I simply need to pick and choose which ones get changed out, and rearrange.

4. Repainting my cinderblock bookshelf. Yes I have one of those homemade bookshelves mad from cinderblocks and plywood. It was my first bookshelf that I put together for my writing space. What can I say but it was cheap. It has held up remarkably well since I first painted it in shades of blue (light blue for the plywood shelves and dark blue spray paint on the cinder blocks). The light blue shelves will stay the same color (they match close enough to everything else). They just need a little cleaning. The cinder blocks will get a new coat of spray paint - silver - which I already have a couple cans of; left over from another project. So, with a minimum of time and effort, I have updated my artwork.

5. Rearranging my objet d'art. I have a few artistic objects that I like to look at. Some were toys, most of which my oldest granddaughter has inherited. Some are items I have purchased over the years. I move them around to different locations or put some away and pull them out to exchange with others.

I'm still looking for a few other things I can do to update my space. It should be interesting to see how I can reuse and recycle things I already have to update my writing space and return it to a place I want to come into to write again.

No comments:

Post a Comment